Silicone rubber is ultra-dynamic, lending itself to many of our core industries like medical sectors, pharmaceuticals, electrical, defense and many more. Silicone is super strong and flexible, offering an easier way to create products and industrial parts.
What Is Silicone?
Silicone is a type of elastomer that is synthetic. This implies it has enough elasticity to be used for a variety of goods such as extrusions.
Silicone is a substance composed of silicon, oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen. Keep in mind that silicon and silicone are not the same things. One is a natural element, while the other is a man-made item.
While silicone is a popular material, it has a complicated manufacturing process. This is one of the reasons silicone costs more than conventional, natural rubber.
What Can Silicone Rubber Be Used For?
This one-of-a-kind substance is popular in most industries for its exceptional durability, making it both high-quality and cost-effective.
Some of the ways silicone rubber can be used are:
- Medical: Tubing for fluid transfer, feeding and drainage, implatations, In-line x-ray detection and many more.
- Pharmaceutical: Peristaltic pump tubing, transfer tubing, high-pressure reinforced hoses, gaskets and seals in this industry.
- Electronics: The electronics industry needs silicone rubber for a variety of products, including seals & gaskets, communication equipment, battery cables, door locking systems, transformer stations and many more.
- Automotive: The automotive industry needs silicone rubber for a variety of products, bus bars, railway catenary systems, airbags, door locking systems, temperature sensors and many more.
- Construction: Due to its excellent weather resistance, silicone rubber is the ideal building material for sealing.
Benefits of Using Silicone Rubber
Silicone has revolutionized even the most demanding sectors as one of the most synthetic rubbers on the market.
Let's start with the advantages of silicone rubber for your company.
- Hygienic: Silicone rubber is non-porous, making bacterial build-up virtually impossible. As a result, this material benefits medical products, kitchen utensils and other food applications. Not only that, but silicone rubber is water-resistant, non-toxic and recyclable.
- Versatile: Silicone rubber is the ultimate customizable material. It's easy to mould and can be adjusted for specialized properties, like heat and water resistance. In addition, silicone rubber can be manufactured in every shade imaginable if you need a specific color to match your branding.
- Ultra-Flexible: Easily modified and responsive, silicone rubber offers flow and flexibility like no other. Valued for its ability to endure ultra-high and low temperatures, this synthetic polymer will always retain its form and flexibility no matter what.
- Highly Durable: Silicone rubber is one of the most durable materials known to man. As mentioned earlier, silicone rubber is heat and flame-resistant, withstanding incredibly high temperatures without compromising its properties. It is also valued for its ability to endure outdoor elements like sunlight and UV gamma radiation.
- Heat-Resistant: Silicone rubber can withstand extreme temperatures, something natural rubber cannot. This factor is crucial for industries like aviation and automation. In addition, heat-resistant rubber is necessary for many other products - home appliances and cooking equipment.
- Waterproof: Silicone rubber is a thermally resistant waterproofing material with a silicon-oxygen base. They are often used for construction, underwater settings and other projects with water and weather exposure.
- Thermal Stability: Silicone rubber can withstand extreme temperatures, something natural rubber cannot. This factor is crucial for industries like aviation and automation. In addition, heat-resistant rubber is necessary for many other products – home appliances and cooking equipment. In fact, most compounds can stay wholly intact and generally retain their properties in extreme temperatures. Silicone rubber can also maintain flexibility in much colder temperatures, making it the perfect all-rounder for use globally.
- Ultra Weather-Resistant: Using silicone rubber outdoors is an excellent choice. This weather-resistant material can withstand prolonged amounts of sunlight, UV light, radiation, harsh temperatures and storms. Silicone sealant is one of the most popular ways to use silicone outdoors.
- Because silicone rubber compounds are made from a mixture of silicone and oxygen atoms, it offers a remarkable resilience that most materials don’t possess. In fact, silicone rubber is chemically inert and can endure many substances, such as acids and water.